This magnificent Victorian sterling silver claret jug has a gourd shaped form onto a circular spreading foot.
The jug is embellished with profuse chased decoration.
The large scroll designs and floral decoration are accented with applied and chased winged figures and an animal head in relief.
The decoration incorporates two shaped cartouche, one displaying the bright cut engraved crest of a horse rampant above the motto 'Invicta', below the Queen's Crown and between the scroll decorated engravings of 'C Troop' and 'West Kent Q.O. Yeomanry Cavalry'.
The second cartouche displays the bright cut engraved inscription:
'Presented to the Marquis Camden by the Non- Commissioned Officers and Men of the C Troop W.K. (Q.O.) Y.C. on the occasion of hi marriage June 2nd 1898'*.
The foot of this impressive claret jug is encircled with a shaped band of chased floral decoration.
The shaped neck of the claret jug is embellished with a broad band of chased acanthus leaf decoration, a narrow band of evolute spiral decoration in addition to pendant husk decoration.
The shaped hallmarked upper portion of this Victorian claret jug is ornamented with a shield shaped, scroll decorated vacant cartouche and a thread decorated shaped rim.
The claret jug is fitted wtih a hinged hallmarked domed cover surmounted with an unusual detachable hallmarked pierced, scroll decorated finial.
The claret jug is fitted with an elegant and impressive scroll handle with an interior 'pull' handle which connects to the cover via a link system, enabling the user to open the cover by 'squeezing' the handle.
The claret jug handle is ornamented with acanthus leaf decoration.
The interior of the cover and jug are silver gilt.
* The 4th Marquis (Marquess) Camden was John Charles Pratt, CGVO, a Major in the West Kent Queen's Own Yeomanry Cavalry. He married Lady Joan Marion, daughter of Lord Henry Nevill.
Marquis Camden was a first cousin of Lord Randolf Churchill.