A fine and exceptional antique George IV English sterling silver two-handled tea tray; part of our silverware collection
This exceptional antique George IV sterling silver tea tray has a rectangular form with rounded corners.
The concave scalloped border is ornamented with a cast applied molded rim embellished with significant shell, scroll, leaf and floral decoration.
The surface of the tray displays profuse flat chased opposing scroll and floral decoration incorporating a central rectangular incurve bordered cartouche.
Below the contemporary engraved image of a yeoman on horseback within the cartouche, is the inscription:
'Presented by the Barnton Squadron, Royal Mid Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry, to Captain Newton of Curriehill, as a mark of their respect and esteem, and in testimony of their sense of the long and eminent services he rendered to the squadron - 1829.'
The tray is supported by four allantoid shaped, fluted decorated feet.
The image of the tray with tea service is for illustrative purposes only.
The tea service may be purchased independently from the AC Silver inventory.
* For information:
1797: Sir Walter Scott forms the Royal Edinburgh Volunteer Light Dragoons and The Duke of Buccleuch forms the East Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry.
1800: Dragoons merge with the Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry, becomes the Royal Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry.
1838: Both Yeomanry regiments are disbanded.
1843: Royal Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry re-raised.
1871: Royal Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry final disbandment.
This exceptional and impressive George IV sterling silver tray is an extremely good gauge of silver, fine quality and in excellent condition.
The decoration is crisp and sharp.
Full hallmarks struck to the underside are all very clear.
Reflections in photography may detract from the true representation of this item.
Length across handles 68cm/26.75"
Length across surface 58cm/22.8"
120 troy ounces/3732g