This magnificent antique George III sterling silver serving dish has a circular rounded form onto a collet style foot.
The body of the dish is embellished with embossed floral and scroll decoration amidst leaf designs and scale textures.
The decoration to the body incorporates a shaped cartouche to either side, one remains vacant and the other displays the contemporary bright cut engraved coat of arms* pertaining to Malcolm of Poltalloch, accented with an escutcheon of pretence for Orme.
The coat of arms is surmounted with the contemporary bright cut engraved crest of a tower, both flanked with the mottos 'In ardua tendit' - He reaches towards things difficult of attainment and 'Deus refugium nostrum' - God our refuge.
The upper rim of the body is encircled with an applied floral and leaf decorated border.
This impressive silver dish is fitted with the original hallmarked push fit cover encompassed with further scroll and floral ornamentation accented with leaf textured lobes, all on a matte style background.
The cover is surmounted with the original figural finial displaying a character lounging on a terrain surface; the finial secures to the interior of the cover with a screw fitment.
The dish sits on the original hallmarked sterling silver plate.
The plate is embellished with an embossed border to the rim, matching the same design to that of the cover.
The centre of the well is ornamented with an impressive contemporary bright cut engraved coat of arms identical to the aforementioned components.
The underside of the plate is fitted with an inset turned oak panel to the foot.
The initials within the maker's marks, in addition to the standardisation of the surround can be associated with two antique silversmiths; Samuel Whitford II and Samuel Wheatley I.
* These armorial bearings undoubtedly commemorate the marriage of Neill Malcolm of Poltalloch in the County of Argyllshire, 12th of Poltalloch (born 26th July 1769 died 24th January 1837 and Mary Anne Orme (born circa 1774 died 14th October 1830), the only surviving daughter of Dr David Orme, of Lamb Abbey (also known as Lamorbey House), near Bexley in the County of Kent and Elizabeth Thomas, whilst Neill was the eldest son of Neill Malcolm of Poltalloch, the 11th of Poltalloch and his wife, Mary, widow of Philip Houghton, of the Island of Jamaica, and daughter of John Brisset. It may be presumed from the evidence of his arms that Mary Anne’s father, Dr David Orme who was a noted physician and man midwife practising in London during the late 18th Century that he was a member of the family of Orme of Magdrum in the County of Fife. Both Neill and Mary Anne along with her father and mother are buried at the Parish Church of St Mary’s, Bexley.
Further detailed information available on request.
View the complete collection of Georgian silverware at AC Silver