This impressive large antique Georgian sterling silver four piece tea and coffee set/service consists of a coffee pot, teapot, cream jug and sugar bowl.
Each piece of this fine set has a panelled form with concave corners, all in the Queen Anne style.
The lower portion of each piece is ornamented with embossed fluted decoration.
To one side of the body of each piece is an impressive bright cut engraved coat of arms* surmounted by a crest depicting a dexter hand holding a dagger erect, all above the motto 'aut pax aut bellum' - either peace or war.
The upper rim of each piece is ornamented with an applied reed decorated border.
Both the coffee pot and teapot are fitted with flush hinged hallmarked domed covers; the flush hinges indicates the fine quality of this service.
The cover of the coffee pot is surmounted by the original sterling silver panelled urn style finial.
The teapot retains the original carved oval ivory, sterling silver topped finial.
The teapot and coffee pot retain the original fine and impressive carved C scroll ivory handles featuring a scrolling thumbpiece.
The cream jug and sugar bowl are fitted with angular sterling silver handles ornamented with applied moulded decoration.
The sugar bowl and cream jug have gilded interiors.
The coffee pot is supported by a plain and unembellished panelled shaped pedestal foot.
The coffee pot was crafted by Thomas Robinson in 1800, whereas the cream jug and sugar bowl were made in 1800 by John Robins and the teapot was constructed by Stephen Adams in 1802; these pieces were crafted over a short period of time and will have been engraved with the coat of arms once the set was compiled.
* The coat of arms pertains to an unnamed younger son of the family of Donaldson of Bannachra, Dumbarton.
Further detailed information pertaining to the armourail bearings available on request or on purchase of the service.