A Christening is a time-old celebration where families come together and welcome their new baby to the world.
Traditionally, silver Christening gifts were given to a child as an investment for their future, because silver was used as a form of currency. Families would take comfort in knowing that their new addition has started life with a valuable asset to use later in life if they wished.
Today, most Christening gifts are valued at a much lower price, but there are still some highly valuable and luxurious items on the market.
Here’s a round-up of the most expensive Christening gifts available to buy in the UK:
- Sterling Silver Porringer – Antique Charles II (1671) – £5,950.00
- Sterling Silver Baby Porringer – Antique Charles II (1663) – £3,950.00
- Sterling Silver Child’s Mug – Antique Charles II (1673) – £2,450.00
- American Sterling Silver Christening Mug by Tiffany & Co – Antique (1879) – £1,895.00
- Sterling Silver Photograph Frames – Antique Edwardian – £1,495.00
- Sterling Silver and Enamel Caddy Spoon – Art Nouveau – Antique George V – £1,295.00
- Sterling Silver Three Piece Christening Set by R.E.Stone – Art Deco Style – Antique George VI – £1,195.00
- Peter Rabbit™ 2018 UK 50p Gold Proof Coin & Book Gift Set – £1,000.00
- Sterling Silver Rattle – Antique George V (1912) – £895.00
- Sterling Silver Christening Mug by Asprey & Co Ltd – Vintage Elizabeth II – £795
- Sterling Silver Rattle – Antique Victorian (1900) – £795
- Sterling Silver Tiffany & Co Birth Record Frame – £660
- Chinese Export Silver Christening Mug (1890) – £695
- Sterling Silver Horseshoe Napkin Rings Vintage George VI – £595
- Sterling Silver Photograph Frame by Synyer & Beddoes Edwardian (1901) – £545
Andrew Campbell, founder of AC Silver said,
“The tradition of giving silver as a Christening gift is traced back to the Tudors; and it’s where the phrase ‘born with a silver spoon in their mouth’ originates. The Victorians expanded on the tradition, giving gifts such as rattles and cutlery sets, and Christenings became a time for giving somewhat more lavish gifts.
The items on our list show that luxurious Christening gifts are still in demand and available. There’s something really special about gifting a piece that can be treasured and handed down through the generations to come.”
Gemma Tubbrit – Online Marketing Manager
Mini Bio: Gemma has many years experience in online marketing and social media. More recently she has focussed her skills within the more specialised jewellery and antique silver industries.