Men’s jewellery has seen a resurgence in popularity of late. Classic watches, stud earrings and sleek bracelets are common staples for many gentlemen. Solid metals make for a traditionally masculine look; however one of our favourite ways to enhance a piece is with gemstones. Ruby is a particular favourite- and men’s ruby jewellery is set to be a huge trend. If you want to find out how to style ruby jewellery for men, then read on for some inspiration.
Why Ruby Jewellery?
Firstly, let’s discuss why you should choose antique ruby jewellery. We love all gemstones, however there is something so timeless about this dazzling jewel; both in its appeal and durability. Ruby is one of the hardest wearing gemstones out there. Additionally, it is one of the traditional ‘cardinal gems’ alongside sapphire, diamond, emerald and amethyst. This makes it an excellent investment!
Other reasons to choose ruby jewellery include:
- Symbolism: Antique ruby jewellery has a rich and interesting history in many Asian countries. Rubies were used to ornament armour, as warriors believed the stone possessed the power of invincibility.
- Birthstone: Ruby is the birthstone for those born in July, and is thought to represent love and passion. As such, it is a popular choice of gemstone for anyone born in this month (or anyone wishing to emulate these qualities!)
- Versatility: Rubies appear in a whole host of reddish hues, each more stunning than the next. This makes them very striking- and incredibly adaptable. If you’re looking to add a pop of colour to your look, then ruby is the stone for you.
Types of Ruby Rings
There are many different styles of antique ruby ring– even for men, who may initially feel their jewellery box is limited to cufflinks and a tie clip! One of our favourites is the classic solitaire. Typically found using diamonds, men’s solitaire rings are equally as impactful (and a little unusual) when they utilise rubies. This style of ruby ring puts a twist on tradition, yet still retains the classic appeal of the solitaire style. If you’re just branching out into gemstone jewellery, then this is an ideal choice due to its subtle yet sophisticated nature.
Antique signet rings are another popular choice for the ruby stone. Traditionally, signet rings were one of the few pieces of jewellery worn exclusively by men. This masculine edge means they are the perfect choice to add a little sparkle, as this juxtaposition creates an entirely unique look. Signet rings can also be a sentimental choice of jewellery, as the class ring below demonstrates. The design of the signet means that there is plenty of room for a personal engraving alongside the ruby stone, meaning it can become an incredibly personal piece.
For men who wish to really make a statement, why not try a ruby snake ring? As with most animal jewellery, the symbol of the snake is shrouded in hissstory (sorry). Snakes featured heavily in the myths of ancient Greece and Rome. They were reviled for their ability shed their skin, meaning that they were seen as a symbol of regeneration and rebirth. Combining this history with the symbolism behind the ruby stone itself makes for a very powerful piece of jewellery. Snake rings can feature many different gemstones, however our favourite has to be the ruby for the gleam it gives the snakes eye.
How to Wear Ruby Rings
There are many different ways for men to wear a ruby ring. Of course, these are all dependent on personal style. However if you are in need of some inspiration then let us share our favourite ways to style our ruby ring collection:
- On a necklace: This is an ideal option for anyone who feels slightly tentative regarding wearing rings. For a more subtle approach, try wearing your ruby ring on a necklace until you get used to it. You’ll be layering your jewellery up in no time!
- Stacking: Contrastingly, if you want to make a statement then why not go big. Stack your ruby ring alongside others to create a dramatic look that is sure to get you noticed. To create some cohesion, ensure that you theme the metals and allow the rings to really stand out.
- Formal occasions: Ruby rings aren’t just for the everyday (although this is a real quality of theirs!) They can be dressed up as easily as down, and are actually perfect for more formal occasions. The pop of colour the ruby gives against a classic black suit is timeless- why not try some matching cufflinks to really pull the look together?
There are so many varieties and ways to style ruby rings – even as vintage engagement rings for both men and women – that it is no surprise that we are still enthralled by them! Rubies are striking and timeless gemstones, that make a symbolic statement however they are styled. You can be assured that an investment in a ruby is an excellent choice; we are sure ruby rings for men will remain popular for years to come.
Bethany Massey – Digital Assistant (Content Creator)
Having graduated university with a BA in English Literature and an MA in Creative Writing Bethany then joined the AC Silver team as a content creator. Bethany spends her days writing content for the AC Silver blog and other luxury goods/antique blogs.