Roberts and Belk changed hands a number of times, the original firm was known as Furniss, Poles and Turner (est 1809). The company was taken over by Roberts and Slater in 1845, followed by Roberts & Briggs in 1859. Lastly, Roberts & Belk took over in 1864.
The company was initially based in Sheffield which manufactured silver and EPNS hollware flatware and cutlery. Their trade mark being the ‘Roman Lamp’.
By 1883 they also had an office in London. In 1901 the firm became Roberts & Belk Ltd which was also when the company opened a branch in Australia. In 1961 the firm was sold to the London silversmiths C.J.Vander.
During WWI Roberts and Belk manufactured electro-tinned spoons to export to the troops. The company were well renowned for their craftsmanship of silver and they existed for just under 100 years. Their advertising stated a guaranteed for 50 years on their cutlery, and we can certainly state that they last the test of time.