This exceptional antique George VI sterling silver treasury inkstand has a rectangular form.
The surface of this antique ink stand is plain and embellished with applied thread decorated borders.
This antique hallmarked silver inkstand is supported by four impressive cast silver claw and ball style feet.
The central upper plateau retains the original, impressive cast hallmarked sterling silver handle.
This antique silver treasury inkstand* is fitted with two opposing hallmarked hinged covers; one cover opens to reveal three compartments and the other a large vacant storage chamber.
The two smaller internal compartments retain the original square glass ink and pounce bottles; the central segment is typically reserved for the writers pen.
The rounded cuboid shaped bottles retain the original plain silver cylindrical mounts.
The underside of the weighted base allows access to the compartment screw fitments and bears the retailer's mark 'Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company, 112 Regent Street, W'.
* The treasury inkstand was initially commissioned by the Lord Chamberlain in 1686. The requirement was to be used in the Treasury and the Privy Council; the formal advisors to the sovereign, whom at this time was King James II.
View our collection of antique glassware