This magnificent antique Victorian sterling silver salver has a circular shaped form onto four bracket style feet.
The surface of this large salver is embellished with a broad, flat engraved floral, scrolling leaf and opposing scroll decorated border.
The decoration to the surface incorporates a bright cut engraved crest depicting on the stump of a tree a crane statant*, above the central presentation inscription:
'Presented to Benjamin Banks Esqr. With a Service of Plate by the Clergy Gentry Merchants & Traders of Sligo and its vicinity, To record their high sense of the very efficient manner he conducted the management of the Provincial Bank in that Town for a period of nearly Five Years, and his gentlemanly obliging & courteous deportment, April 1843'
The rim of this magnificent sterling silver salver is embellished with a fine and impressive applied scroll and shell decorated border.
The salver is supported by four cast pierced scroll decorated bracket style feet.
Although this early Victorian sterling silver salver displays the London Assay Office hallmarks, it was crafted by the renowned provincial Newcastle silversmith William Ker Reid
* This crest pertains to the Andby/Andy/Andey family of Devon.
Read a brief history about antique sterling silver salvers.