The company was founded by Antonio Fattorini, an Italian immigrant, who arrived in Britain following the Napoleonic Wars. The firm was known for being manufacturers of enamelled and button badges.
In 1829 Fattorini was listed in Leeds as a jeweller and hardware dealer t 18 Bazaar, Central Market.
In 1831 he set up a store in Harrogate, Yorkshire, trading in jewellery; taking advantage of the seasonal trade prevalent in Harrogate at the time. It wasn’t until later that he moved to Bradford, taking a building at 28 Kirkgate, trading under the name of Fattorini & Sons.
A branch opened in Skipton in 1848 and was managed by Innocent Fattorini. Although it seems likely that the branch in Skipton was opened in 1828, the founding date is 1827. At this time (circa 1840) the branch in Harrogate was managed by Antonio Fattorini II, and the Bradford branch was managed by John and Edward Fattorini.
When Innocent Fattorini died Thomas Fattorini took over the Skipton branch and decided to change the name of the firm to Thomas Fattorini. In 1903 Thomas Fattorini opened a branch in Lancashire, naming in Thomas Fattorini (Lancashire) Ltd. Meanwhile the Skipton branch became Thomas Fattorini (Skipton) Ltd. In 1916 a small works was opened in Hockley Street, Birmingham, and in 1919 this was registered as Thomas Fattorini (Birmingham) Ltd. This works supplied the Skipton shop and also a shop in Bolton. In 1927, the firm dropped the Birmingham from the name and moved to Regent Street, Birmingham.
In 1915 Fattorini & Sons opened its own factory, The Bradford Works (later becoming known as Bradford House), Barr Street, Birmingham, and was registered as Fattorini & Sons Ltd.
In 1964 a branch was opened in Manchester initially to do enamelling and later growing to become the centre for the design, development and manufacture of plastic badges.
In 1983, Thomas Fattorini Ltd acquired all the firms working under Fattorini & Sons Ltd.
Together with the Birmingham and Manchester factories, the company also has a sales office in London.
In 2008 Thomas Fattorini Ltd was granted the Royal Warrant by Her Majesty the Queen.
View the collection of silverware by Fattorini & Sons Ltd below...