The firm Horace Woodward & Co Ltd is well known for its production of silver, sterling silver and electroplate commodities from the mid 19th Century, to the early 20th Century.
Horace Woodard & Co Ltd are the successors to Cartwright & Hirons, Cartwright, Hirons & Woodard, Cartwirght & Woodward and Horace Woodward (& Co).
The firm was established C. 1850, in Birmingham by George Cartwright and Joseph Hirons, trading under Cartwright & Hirons.
In 1853, Horace Woodward joined the firm, thus the firm changed its name to Cartwright, Hirons & Woodward. Six years later, the name of the firm changed again, this time because Joseph Hirons left, creating Cartwright & Woodward.
George Cartwright retired in 1865. The firm was continued by Horace Woodward, thus becoming Horace Woodward & Co. In 1883 Horace Woodward left the firm. It was continued by Hugh Taylor and Edgar Finley, still under the name Horace Woodward & Co. until 1893, when the firm became registered as a limited liability company - Horace Woodward & Co Ltd.
In 1919 the firm was acquired by Aidie Brothers Ltd.