This exceptional antique George III English Georgian sterling silver teapot has a circular compressed form onto a swept circular collet foot.
The plain body of this antique silver teapot is embellished with a contemporary bright cut engraved coat of arms* depicting two lions passant in pale and in chief a rose argent (for Hughes) over all an escutcheon of pretence Quarterly 1st and 4th a chevron between three lions rampant or (for Lewis) 2nd and 3rd on a bend sable three men's heads proper.
The upper portion of the body of the teapot is encircled with a band of applied basket weave ornamentation flanked with braid style decoration.
The teapot is encircled with an applied decorated border below the plain flared, tapering shoulders.
This silver teapot is fitted with a hallmarked flush hinged subtly domed cover; the flush hinge indicates the fine quality of this piece.
The cover retains the original and exceptional cast sterling silver fruit basket decorated finial; this finial secures to the interior with a screw fitment.
This exceptional example of antique teaware is fitted with the original handle with sterling silver sockets, embellished with impressive chased decorated leaf textures.
This antique teapot is fitted with an impressive spout ornamented with an applied scrolling leaf design to the underside.
The teapot is supported by an impressive circular collet style foot encircled with further applied ornamentation, identical to that of the rim.
This exceptional example of Georgian silverware was crafted by the very collectable and important London silversmith John Emes.
* These armorial bearings undoubtedly commemorate the marriage of The Reverend Edward Hughes, MA (born 9th February 1738 died 1st June 1815), of Kinmel Park, near Abergele in the County of Denbighshire and Mary Lewis (born 8th October 1740 died 26th September 1835), the youngest daughter and co-heiress of The Reverend Robert Lewis, MA, of Cemlyn, Rector of Trefdraeth both in the County of Anglesey and Chancellor of the Diocese of Bangor, whilst Edward was the eldest son of Hugh Hughes, of Lleiniog in the County of Anglesey. Edward and Mary were married on the 10th August 1765. During their marriage, Edward and Mary had three sons and five daughters. Their eldest son, William Lewis Hughes (born 10th November 1767 died 10th February 1852) was created Baron Dinorben, of Kinmel in the County of Denbigh within the Peerage of the United Kingdom on the 10th September 1831. He was a copper mine owner, philanthropist and Whig politician. Read this items heraldic identification report.
Read a brief history of antique silver teapots