This magnificent antique English sterling silver three light candelabrum has a cylindrical tapering, shaped form.
This antique silver centrepiece candelabrum retains the original hallmarked detachable push fit arms.
The cast sterling silver scrolling arms are ornamented with large enveloping scrolling leaf designs and accented with naturalistic decoration to the stems.
The circular waisted capitals are ornamented with layered water leaf decoration to the lower portions.
Each capital surmounts a cast, hallmarked circular shaped drip pan, incorporating a large scrolling leaf design to the anterior surface.
The elevated central capital surmounts a waisted shaped boss and features the original, detachable hallmarked cast sterling silver finial snuffer, accented with further organic and leaf designs.
This 19th century centrepiece candelabrum can be used as an imposing candlestick once the push fit arms (labra) are detached.
The cylindrical tapering portion of the column is embellished with magnificent chased and cast scrolling leaf designs.
The column surmounts an impressive swept triform base, incorporating two bands of impressive chased floral and foliate decorated borders to the upper and lower portions.
The swept portion of the base is embellished to each side with contemporary bright cut engraved ornamentation: to one side the inscription 'Maurice Reconnoissante' and a badge depicting the crest of a demi-dragon charged with a crescent, holding in the sinister foot a shield, and in the dexter foot a dart headed and feathered, encompassed with the motto 'Tria juncta in uno' - Three joined in one.
The badge anchors a suspended engraved Knight Grand Cross; an icon of the military division of the Order of the Bath.
The third side of the candelabrum base features the exceptional contemporary bright cut engraved coat of arms of a bull passant below a crescent within a bordure bezantée of eight, a canton of the last, charged with a horse's head couped.
This central escutcheon is encircled with the aforementioned motto and lower portion of this large coat of arms bears the motto 'Deum Cole, regem serva' - Worship God, protect the King*.
The base is supported by three impressive cast and applied leaf decorated feet, featuring further scrolling leaf designs in junction with the collet rim.
This magnificent candelabrum centrepiece was crafted by the renowned and collectable silversmith William Ker Reid** in London, England.
NOTES: * These heraldic markings, coat of arms and motto pertain to the the Cole family, Earls of Enniskillen; the crescent within the coat of arms and crest determine they were those of a second son. Collecctively it can be determined that this candelabrum was crafted for Hon. Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole (1772-1842), the second son of the 1st Earl of Enniskillen. This prominent military man was made Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath's Military Division in 1815. Furthermore he had a career as a colonial administrator and governor, serving as the second governor of of Mauritius ('Île Maurice' in French) from 1823 to 1828; it can be determined that this candelabrum was commissioned by those within the administration/colony to mark Cole's five years among them.
** William Ker Reid (1787-1868) is a distiguishable and well-known Newcastle silversmith. In 1812 he established a business partnership with Joseph Craddock on Leather Lane in London; he secured his freedom of the Goldsmith company in 1814, and became a Liveryman in 1818. In 1825 William Ker Reid created his own account on Chancery Lane, London, later to expand the firm to become W.K. Reid & Son, incorporating an apprenticeship with his son Edward Ker Reid. He did however remain an absent partner of Reid & Sons, Newcastle-upon-Tyne until 1858.
View the complete collection of candelbrum and candelabra available at AC Silver